Skip to main content

Tomorrow

     I'm remembering to set my alarm for seven a.m. because it is important I wake up early in the morning to spend Saturday with my grand-daughters.  Their mother, Rebekah is working tomorrow, and my son, Paul needs my help with their girls, Brianna, Olivia, and Evelyn.  Brianna is eleven and Olivia is eight and they aren't any trouble at all.  They can basically take care of themselves, but someone needs to be there for safety reasons.  Evelyn on the other hand, turned two in February and she needs to be looked after.  Over a year ago, I volunteered to go over to their house after school to be there when they came home.  It is how I can send time with them. 

After school duty soon included Saturdays and sometime Sundays or both depending on Rebekah's work schedule.  Rebekah is a registered nurse in a supervisor​y position at the Women's Hospital in Houston, Texas.  Her work schedule is subject to change from week to week.  She works long, ten hour shifts about four days a week from seven a.m until around seven p.m.

Paul is a carpenter and runs his own business; therefore, he often needs to meet with clients on Saturday.  It is necessary for me to help by watching Evelyn while he attends to business.  My being there also gives him an opportunity to grocery shop without taking all of his children into the store.

My family brings joy into my life,​ keeps me busy, and gives me something to look forward to everyday.  I don't know whether that contributes to my longevity.  Being a part of their lives does make me active and happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oatmeal Apple 🍎 Crisp

  Oatmeal Apple Crisp  

Diet for Health

      I'm on the Mayo Clinic Diet mainly to lower my cholesterol.  By losing weight, I'm lowering my low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL).  And then, with moderate exercise my chances of losing weight increases.  Eating more vegetables and fruits while eating less meat helps me to lose weight faster.      Reducing the amount of sugar and salt in my diet has been a huge factor in my weight loss journey.  I'm using artificial sweeteners in my coffee on a daily basis and trying to iliminate granulated sugar completely.  By the way, alcohol is counted as sugar--no alcohol!  At my age, salt intake should only be 1/2 teaspoon or about 1200 mg daily.  Using less salt helps me lower my blood pressure and prevents water weight gain.      Another important factor in weight loss and lower cholesterol levels, particularly LDL, is fat intake should be not more than 30 percent of total calories.  Lowering fat in...