Skip to main content

Zone 2: Kitchen Duty

    This week, I'm working in Zone 2: Kitchen, a procedure in the Flylady Method of housekeeping.  It's not really exciting; but, it is necessary to get into the real nitty-gritty at least once a month in that area of my household.

     First, I dusted a Venisan blind above the sink and washed the inside of the window the best I could while standing on a step ladder.  Sometimes it's best to put safety before perfection.

     Then, I began taking out stove trays to soak in a sink full of soapy water for 15-minutes and then, I took an, on the hour, rest period.  After a short rest, I got up again and scrubbed all the stove trays.  One of my stove trays had a bit of tough residue which wouldn't come clean.  I tried soaking it with vinegar and baking soda while I cleaned rings of gunk off the stove around the tray openings with baking soda.  After thoroughly cleaning my stove top, I tried to scrub off stubborn residue from that one stove tray.  It wouldn't come completely clean so I rinsed and dried all of the stove trays and put it all into place again--the one that didn't quite come clean, on the back burner.  Maybe, I could think with a better solution next month.  Anyway, my stove top is clean and shinny.  The oven is okay because I cleaned it in March before the weather began to get hot and humid.  If it ain't dirty--don't clean it!

Then, I proceeded onto the sinks and counter tops where I keep my microwave, coffee craft, toaster, electric can opener, set of knives, etc., all needing to be cleaned, including the kitchen sinks.  This time, I set the stove timer for 15-minutes.  I began wiping down and/or scrubbing each appliance, removing it all as I went along until everything was off the counter tops and onto my table which is in the dining area, Zone 1.

     The timer went off as I was nearly finished moving everything onto the table.  I reset my stove timer for another 15-minutes and began shinning microwave, toaster and sinks with Zep Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish.  After the sinks were clean and shinny, I cleaned counter tops with Zep Granite​ Cleaner and Preserve.  I used these products sparingly because it's quite costly and not​ necessary to use every month.  I have had both products for nearly two years now.

     The timer went off the second time just before I finished.  We all know to finish the job anyway.  It took me about one hour altogether to get that much done today.  I plan on cleaning my refrigerator, inside and out, tomorrow morning; that way, I could take inventory and write a grocery list of what's needed to meal plan for a couple of weeks or longer.

     If I have time tomorrow, I will sweep and mop the kitchen and dining areas and clean the trash can.  I'm planning to grocery shop by Thursday.  Friday, I really should spend some time in my garden planting the seedlings I started in pots in March.  The fun never ends--I just don't know where to find it, nor have time!

I must run over to my son's house now, before his girls get home from school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oatmeal Apple 🍎 Crisp

  Oatmeal Apple Crisp  

Diet for Health

      I'm on the Mayo Clinic Diet mainly to lower my cholesterol.  By losing weight, I'm lowering my low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL).  And then, with moderate exercise my chances of losing weight increases.  Eating more vegetables and fruits while eating less meat helps me to lose weight faster.      Reducing the amount of sugar and salt in my diet has been a huge factor in my weight loss journey.  I'm using artificial sweeteners in my coffee on a daily basis and trying to iliminate granulated sugar completely.  By the way, alcohol is counted as sugar--no alcohol!  At my age, salt intake should only be 1/2 teaspoon or about 1200 mg daily.  Using less salt helps me lower my blood pressure and prevents water weight gain.      Another important factor in weight loss and lower cholesterol levels, particularly LDL, is fat intake should be not more than 30 percent of total calories.  Lowering fat in...