Skip to main content

Sacred Saturday

     It is a quite, Saturday morning here and I slept in for a little while.  I'm up now, bathed, dressed to shoes and ready for my day.  Sticking to the Mayo Clinic Diet Plan, I ate 1/3 cup of homemade granola with 1/2 cup fat-free milk and 4 ounces of orange juice.  And that is equivalent to one carbohydrate, one protein and one fruit serving.  I also drank coffee with sugar free, powdered creamer, French Vanilla flavored Coffee Mate which has only 15 calories so I'm not counting it.

My diet plan is basically whatever I want to eat within limited amounts of food, up to 1200 calories.  Vegetables are unlimited, at least four servings a day and at least three servings of fruit.  However, potatoes and corn are categorized as carbohydrates.  To meet my limit of 1200 calories a day, I'm allowed only four carb servings, three protein servings of 2 ounces each, only three fats and occasionally sweets, but sugar is off my food list for the time being.  It's complicated accept the Mayo Clinic Diet book is a great guide to keep me on track of my health and weight loss program.

Saturday is sacred, at least it is for me because it's the last day of the week and meant as a day of rest.  I know many people have to work on Saturdays because of their jobs and needs.  When I worked outside of home while raising my family, I cleaned house on Saturdays because it was the only time I had to get my home in order.

Now that I'm retired, Saturday has become a special day for me.  I have time for myself to rest in, read, write, reflect upon my life style and goals, and do a fair amount of whatever I do.  I rarely go out shopping on Saturdays because of crowded marketplaces with people out and about.

As a grown-up, elderly adult, I must be responsible for myself, safety and happiness.  I want to live my life in peace and enjoy my last days on Earth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sewing Project, Part 1

  How To: Cut A Straight Edge

A Sewing Project, Part 2

 How To: Pin a Hem

Survival Pantry Basics

STAPLES PACKAGED/ CANNED  FOODS: Baker's chocolate                                               Beans (canned, dry)                                                     Baking powder                                                     Broth (beef, chicken) Baking soda                                             Cake mixes with frosting Barbeque sauce                                          Canned dices tomatoes Bread crumbs                                                       Canned fruit (plain or seasoned)                                                  Chocolate chips                                        Canned mushrooms Cocoa powder                                                      Canned soup Cornmeal                                                                Canned tomato paste & sauce Cornstarch                                                             Canned tuna & chicken Crackers